- About HHR
The O’Neill Institute for National and Global Health Law, a member of the Health and Human Rights Consortium, invites you to a colloquium event:
The West African Ebola Epidemic: How Can It Be Contained and How Can We Prevent the Next One?
Wednesday, September 3, 2014
1:20 – 3:20 p.m.
Georgetown University Law Center
Faculty Dining Room, Hotung Room 2001
550 First Street, NW
Washington, DC 20001
- Lawrence O. Gostin, University Professor, Georgetown University Law Center and Faculty Director, O’Neill Institute for National and Global Health Law
- John Monahan, Special Adviser to the President of Georgetown University on Global Health
- Marty Cetron, Director Global Migration and Quarantine, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention; Member, World Health Organization Ebola Emergency Committee
- J. Stephen Morrison, Senior Vice President and Director, Global Health Policy Center, Center for Strategic and International Studies
- Daniel Lucey, Adjunct Professor, Georgetown University Medical Center
- Kevin Donovan, Director, Center for Clinical Bioethics, Georgetown University Medical Center
The participants will discuss measures to bring the Ebola outbreak under control, what steps should be taken to prevent the next large outbreak and how this can be done while addressing the myriad other health needs in lower-income countries:
- What are the ethics of compassionate uses of experimental drugs?
- What are the public health and human rights aspects of mass quarantines?
- What are the legal duties of the WHO, international community, and U.S.?
Gostin, Friedman, and Hougendobler published an O’Neill Institute Briefing, which can be accessed here.
Gostin and Lucey are co-authors of an article on Ebola published recently in the Journal of American Medical Association, which can be accessed here.
Space is limited. Media interested in attending should email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The hashtag for this event is #oneillcolloquium.
For more information on O’Neill Institute events, please visit http://www.law.georgetown.edu/oneillinstitute/.
Papers in Press
The Child’s Right to Protection From Drugs: Understanding Its History to Move Forward
The Case for International Guidelines on Human Rights and Drug Control
Rick Lines, Richard Elliott, Julie Hannah, Rebecca Schleifer, Tenu Avafia, and Damon Barrett
UNstoppable: How Advocates Persevered in the Fight for Justice for Haitian Cholera Victims